8 Sept 2008

NEVER going to a Pedder Warehouse Sale AGAIN


Saturday and Sunday was the annual Pedder Warehouse Sale where it's up to 80% off designer shoes, handbags and accessories and it was utter madness!! 50% off Marc Jacobs or Louboutins anyone? I've never been to a Pedder Warehouse Sale before and was itching to see what they had on sale. Are the discounts for real? Are the stocks from eons and eons ago?

As curiousity got the better of me, I actually headed down on Saturday morning. The flyer stated 10am opening and initial thoughts was that I would go early and be done within an hour but good golly miss molly! wah lao, there was a queue already! A damn long one by the way...

MA was still in bed and was supposed to meet him at 12pm, I thought ok, I've got some time to kill and took my place in the queue. FOR ONE HOUR. Before I managed to get into that stifling little room. Now I must add that I was not hard up to buy anything, especially since MA got me a gorgeous YSL Muse for my birthday and I had just spring cleaned my wardrobe and shoe closet but the moment I passed the half hour mark, sheer stubborness set in. "I've already waited 30 minutes. I had BETTER get into that room."

Of cos I got in... and discovered, not the first time, that women go absolutely insane when it comes to designer shoes and handbags.on.sale. All niceties, manners and decorum fly out the window. I stood rooted to a spot for a good five minutes taking in the scene while all chaos reigned about. Some smart ones brought their male friends/partners to help them chope a space in the cashier queue, which was another goddamn nightmare. But surprisingly, the goodies were actually quite impressive. Stacks of Pedder Red (aka affordable), Keds (also affordable), Repetto, Christian Louboutin, Stuart Weitzman, Beverly Feldman, Marc Jacobs, and more. ALL.ON.SALE. All the char bors were going nuts! And it was a kind strange comfort to see the common love of shoes that transcends race, colour, profession and social stratas. Some of them bought like they starved all year only to unleash their credit cards for this.

The room was sooo tiny for the amount of people with barely enough oxygen for each and the number of sales persons were pathetic with every one of them save one, wearing masks of misery at the hordes of crazed women shouting "Have size 40 or not? Got gold one? Where is the other half of this pair? This one how much discount hah? Miss, I want that pair!! What else what else? Show me everything you have in size 38!" I was not one of them!

Dear On Pedder, with the amount of ka-ching you guys make, I should think you would be able to afford a larger function room with more staff and cashiers. And shouldn't you have a better system of attending to customers since you do this every year? Have you any idea of the agony of being rounded up like caged cattle separated from goods of desire by a mere table length but not having sufficient sales people to help reach them? Don't be ngiao next year please.

I sorely wanted to buy the Repetto ballet flats but the queue was another long long long line and I was afraid of passing out due to lack of oxygen so I left, EMPTYHANDED. Was so sad.. told MA later that day to remind me never to attempt another Pedder Sale. Consolation was found in a pair of $19.90 flats at Far East Plaza.

No comments: